BUCKIE showed real character to dig out a draw with a Chris Angus equaliser five minutes from the end of a terrific game at Turriff Utd.

The home side led 2-1 after John McLeod’s 37th goal of the season had put Buckie ahead in the first half before Nick Gray headed Turriff level before half-time.

Cammy Booth capitalised on a mix up in the Buckie defence to put the Aberdeenshire side ahead midway through the second half.

Cove Rangers drew 1-1 at Formartine Utd, while Brora Rangers were held 2-2 at Inverurie Locos.

All that means is that Buckie retain a three point lead over Brora and are five points clear of Cove Rangers, with Formartine nine points behind, although Cove and Formartine both have a game in hand of the Jags.

Buckie and Turriff played out an enthralling game at The Haughs with John McLeod firing the Jags into the lead in the 28th minute with his 37th goal of the season.

Turriff had created a number of chances before this, most notably when David Booth was put clean through on goal but Daniel Bell made a good save to deny the striker.

However, the home side levelled in the 34th minute when Cammy Booth put a terrific cross into the box for Nick Gray to head the ball powerfully into the net.

Turriff started the second half on the front foot and were rewarded when Cammy Booth latched on to a ball by Robbie Allan to round Bell and roll the ball home in the 58th minute.

Just when it looked as if Buckie might suffer a blow to their title hopes, McLeod nicked the ball away from Main inside the box and delivered an inviting cross which Angus headed home from close range.

There was real drama in four minutes of added time when first David Booth spurned a great chance when he was presented with the ball and only Daniel Bell to beat but he dithered and the chance was lost.

And twice in the dying seconds Main made good saves to keep out efforts from McLeod and Angus.

Buckie: Bell, Munro, Carrol, Dorrat, Mackinnon, Cheyne (Copeland 62), Fraser, Cowie (Taylor 71), McLeod, Angus, Urquhart. Not used: Wood, Milne.

Photo’s courtesy of Allan Robertson.

Leave a Reply