A STUNNING winner from Chris Angus sealed a place in the final of the Aberdeenshire Cup for Buckie Thistle.

Chris Angus was Buckie’s match winner.
Angus curled the ball beyond Paul Leask from outside the box with 15 minutes remaining of a pulsating semi-final at Victoria Park.

Angus said: “It was a good goal and I am just happy it went in because I had a few chances in the first half I should have scored.

“As a striker you are always looking to shoot, and I was glad the keeper was to one side.

“We are happy to get the win, especially going down to ten men.

“The first half alone we could have been three or four in front and it was a shame my shooting boots weren’t on.

“The confidence is sky high, we are putting six and seven goals past teams and we could have had five tonight.”

Boss Graeme Stewart said: “I am happy for him (Angus) because he has come back from injury and that is four goals in two games”

Hard work: Graeme Stewart praised his players.

“It is our first final in a while and the boys deserve it. They have worked so hard and their attitude has been brilliant.

“That was our biggest challenge and we have come through it. We had the better of the first half and they had the better of the second, but we probably shaded it.”

The only disappointment was a first half injury to defender Andy Skinner which looks like ruling him out for a while.

His replacement, Shaun Wood, headed the Jags into a 28th minute lead with a terrific header from a Sam Urquhart free kick.
However, the night ended on a low note for Wood when he was red carded for a second yellow card offence which rules him out of the final.

Jamie Beagrie had levelled for the Broch 10 minutes before half-time and after the visitors enjoyed a purple patch at the start of the second half, Angus popped up with his superb winner 15 minutes from the end.

Buckie went down to ten men when Wood saw red for a challenge eight minutes from the end, a decision Stewart felt was harsh.

Striker John McLeod, who had a quiet night after a whirlwind start to the season, was withdrawn and defender Iain MacRae sent on to shore up the defence for the last few nervy minutes.
Angus hit the crossbar with an audacious long range effort four minutes from time.
A large crowd was jubilant at the final whistle as Buckie celebrated a final against either Cove Rangers or Turriff Utd.

Buckie: Sim, Skinner (Wood 20), Munro, Dorrat, McLean, K Fraser, Angus, Taylor, Urquhart, McLeod (MacRae 82). Not used: Low, Copeland, Cheyne, Carrol, Salmon.
Fraserburgh: Leask, Dickson, McBride, R Cowie, Hay, D Cowie, Beagrie, West, Lawrence (Rae 74), Johnston (Campbell 85), Combe. Not used: Taylor, Noble, C Buchan, G Buchan, Barbour,

Leave a Reply