Second Half Fight-back But No Reward

Despite a sterling effort by the Jags in the second half against Formartine United they ended the game empty handed when perhaps their efforts merited a draw. Sadly time simply ran out of them and the Pitmedden side departed with all three points. It does not take rocket science to work out how Formartine achieved the latter – they punished three defensive errors in the first half to the full. It is unlike the Thistle defence to concede such poor goals but on the occasion they do they find themselves punished whereas other sides seem to get away with it. After the thumping at Forres it was key that the Jags made a good start against United but just three minutes in they proceeded to gift the opening goal to the visitors’ when a rarer error by skipper Lewis MacKinnon saw him try to play a pass-back with the wrong foot and he only succeeded in laying into the path of one man you don’t want to do that to Cammy Keith who duly ran in and fired it past Kevin Main. As a result the Pitmedden side’s spirit was raised and for the next 17 minutes they ruled the roost creating nearly all the chances of note. The next two came in the 7th minute when Neil McVitie got free in the box and created a chance for himself but his shot was deflected away for a corner. Two minutes later Callum Bagshaw lofted the ball over the defence to Marek Madle who tried to lob Kevin Main but sent this over the bar. On the quarter hour mark Marek Madle got through again but his shot lacked power and sixty seconds after that a United free-kick in found Cammy Keith but luckily he scuffed his shot. The inevitable finally happened in the 19th minute as Formartine were gifted another goal when ‘Zico’ Davidson barged an attacker over in the box and a penalty was awarded which Cammy Keith dispatched clinically. An injury to Darren Wood though changed the game as on came Chris Angus and with Shaun Wood dropping back to right back and Iain MacRae switching to left back this made Thistle a lot more solid and more threatening and they began to take the game to United. It paid off in the 34th minute albeit with a helping hand or should that be head as Jay Cheyne delivered a deadly ball into the box and Formartine’s Callum Bagshaw bulleted a header into his own net. Soon after Shaun Wood pinged in a fine cross which Chris Angus got to but although he guided the ball past Andy Shearer it lacked power and was cleared. Just when things were on the up the Jags defence was caught out again in the 41st minute when Formartine broke down the right and when the ball was whipped across all the defenders were drawn into the centre leaving Neil McVitie free to convert the cross past Kevin Main. It could have got worse on half time when Donnie Munro conceded possession whereupon Paul Napier slid the ball through towards Cammy Keith but Kevin Main raced out to make a super clearance.

Half-time Buckie Thistle 1 Formartine United 3

Four minutes into the second half a ball in from the impressive man of the match Scott Adams fell to Andrzej Kleczkowski but the ball was cleared for a corner which Andy Shearer did well to punch clear. In the 51st minute a Jags clearance only found Paul Napier who played it into Cammy Keith but his final shot went wide. Three minutes later Shaun Wood played a wicked shot into the United box but it bounced awkwardly for Scott Adams and his tricky header came to nothing. 60 seconds after that an even better chance fell to the winger when Shaun Wood sent in a deep free-kick but the teenager shot over. In the 58th minute United were awarded a direct free-kick in a central position but Craig McKeown fired this over. Three good chances then fell to the Jags the first 60 seconds on when a Chris Angus cross fell to Scott Adams but his shot was blocked. Then in the 61st minute Andy Low sent in a deep cross that found Chris Angus in a great position but he headed wide. Four minutes after that a deep corner in from Scott Adams went over Andrzej Kleczkowski but rushing in came ‘Zico’ Davidson only to head a difficult chance wide. By attacking in numbers the Jags were liable to be exposed at the back and they got out of jail with twenty minutes left when Iain MacRae erred with a pass and sent the ball to Cammy Keith who crashed in a shot only to see Kevin Main pull off a superb save. Five minutes on Andy Shearer flapped at a Thistle corner and the ball reached Donnie Munro but his shot was blocked. In the 78th minute Marek Madle found Neil McVitie but his low shot was held by Kevin Main. Three minutes on Iain MacRae made another mistake letting in Paul Napier whose cross found marek Madle but his effort was well blocked by Lewis MacKinnon. With time running out the Jags threw their skipper into the attack and with seven minutes left he got to a corner but a defender turned the effort behind. It was a different story in the 86th minute though when Iain MacRae delivered a brilliant free-kick from inside his own half into the box and there was Lewis MacKinnon to net with a superb header. As the clock passed 90 minutes the Jags threw everything at United to try and equalise and the chance came in injury time when they were awarded a free-kick in Andy Low territory and he duly stepped up and curled a great effort round the wall only to see Andy Shearer turn the ball behind. The corner in was not cleared and fell to Andy Low who blasted in a shot but it hit team-mate and the game was up

Full-time Buckie Thistle 2 Formartine United 3

The Jags will feel rightly aggrieved that their sterling effort did not bring them some reward and a draw would not have been unjust. However, the defensive errors they made are always going to be punished by a team of Formartine’s calibre and as a result Thistle paid the penalty by losing the match and similar mistakes in the next game will bring the same outcome. However, there were a lot more positive signs in this game than at Forres and Scott Adams showed some dazzling wing play that tied the United defence in knots at times. On the right the combo of Shaun Wood and Chris Angus also caused major problems and when ‘Spider’ Stewart came on he added power to the centre midfield. Good signs then and if the errors can be cut out then they have it in them to win more games than they lose.


Man of the match chosen by Sandy Riach – Scott AdamSAM_0335s





Buckie Thistle – Main, MacRae, D Wood (Angus), Munro, MacKinnon, Davidson, S Wood (Baxter), J Cheyne (G Stewart), Kleczkowski, Low and Adams

Formartine United – Shearer, Jeffrey, S Smith, McKeown, Hay, Munro, Napier (Dingwall), McVitie, Keith, Madle and Bagshaw (Clark)



Referee – C Sim

Leave a Reply