Mechanics Power Too Much For Thistle by Easton Thain

The Jags had a bad time of it at Mosset Park and conceded five goals in a league game there for the first time since 2008 and suffered their worst reverse in a League game at Forres since a 7-1 dusting in January 1971. A number of factors contributed to the defeat on Saturday with the sending off of Chris Hegarty in the first half which sparked numerous debates not helping the cause but the unavailability of Graeme ‘Spider’ Stewart, Donnie Munro and Chris Angus did not help matters either, it is likely all three would have played and the former two would have bolstered the middle of the park where Neil ‘Zico’ Davidson was the only real powerful presence. The main positive from the game is that the Jags played reasonably well in the second half and there was no doubting the effort put in by the younger players but what they haven’t got yet is the power to match a team of giants like Forres and overall the Can-Cans simply overpowered Thistle. You just have to take games like this on the chin and go out in the next match determined to rectify matters and hopefully the Jags will do just that although the task against Formartine United will be a difficult one.

The Mechanics showed their intent from the start and less than a minute was on the clock when they won a corner which was not fully cleared and when the ball came back in it was met by Kyle Scott but he headed over. In the 5th minute another home break led to Kris Duncan playing the ball through to Lee Fraser who shot for the top corner but the ball flew wide. Five minutes on an attempted pass from Darren Wood was charged down and the ball into the box eventually fell to Craig McGovern but he wasted a great chance but blasting his shot over. In the 17th minute a Forres throw in led to Kris Duncan setting up Scott Moore but he drove wide. Three minutes on the inevitable happened as the Can-Cans took the lead when Kevin Main misjudged a cross, the ball came back off the post and Scott Moore reacted quickest to nod it home. Things then got a whole lot worse as, 60 seconds on, Chris Hegarty lost control of the ball then went sliding in with both feet, but the home player also went in strongly, and the referee deemed it to be a red card challenge and off he went. There was much debate over this with some feeling it was a yellow card offence at worst but others noted the Jags man had one boot raised which could have damaged the Forres player. In the end if you slide into a challenge there is a risk of a red card. If it was hard enough against eleven giants with a full compliment then Thistle’s task had suddenly got a whole lot harder. They did respond by winning a corner in the 24th minute which Neil ‘Zico’ Davidson met but a defender cleared this for a second corner which was not fully cleared and reached Kyle Gauld but he blazed his shot over. On the half hour a poor clearance was picked up by Kris Duncan who found former Jag Fraser Forbes but his drive was held by Kevin Main. Four minutes on at the other end Andy Low fed Scott Adams who cut inside but his final shot was blocked. In the 36th minute though the Mechanics doubled their lead and it was a perfect example of their height and power as a corner was played into the heart of the Jags defence and the 6 foot plus Lee Fraser out-jumped the defence and gave Kevin Main no chance with a close range header. A minute before the break a long ball over the Thistle defence allowed Lee Fraser to run in on goal but he was denied by a fine block from Kevin Main. Right on half-time though it was ‘tatties ower the side’ for the Jags as the Mechanics struck the killer blow, the ball was fed through to Kyle Scott who laid it on a plate for Kris Duncan who stroked it into the net.

Half-time Forres Mechanics 3 Buckie Thistle 0

The Jags set out in the second half determined not to capitulate and they certainly played a lot better creating a number of chances of their own. The first came in the 57th minute when Shaun Wood sent a fine ball in to Andy Low who met it but sent his effort wide. The Can-Cans responded five minutes on when Simon Allan was allowed to race through unchallenged from his own half before firing in a shot but this was held by Kevin Main. In the 66th minute Shaun Wood fed Scott Adams who showed neat footwork before sending over a cross which Kyle Gauld met first time but his effort went wide. Five minutes later Scott Adams fed ‘Zico’ Davidson who held the ball up before returning the favour but the winger then drove his shot over. In the 74th minute a free-kick in led to Scott Adams sending a fine ball across to ‘Zico’ Davidson who set up Lewis MacKinnon but he too shot over. Five minutes later it really was all over when the Mechanics added a fourth albeit it should never have stood. Dave Calder was over the bye-line when he sent the ball across, Kevin Main protested but in doing so lost concentration and spilled the ball allowing Craig McGovern to drill it into the net. With eight minutes left a poor pass was latched onto by Ross Archibald who was clean in on goal but as Kevin Main advanced the striker shot over. Two minutes later Fraser Forbes exchanged passes with Dave Calder but then shot over. Thistle had a chance with three minutes left when Shaun Wood won the ball and sent it into the box whereupon Liam Baxter met it but his header looped into the arms of Stuart Knight. A minute on at the other end another awful pass led to a Forres break and that man Ross Archibald was in again but contrived to shoot wide. Right away at the other end Scott Adams exchanged passes with Liam Baxter and his cross fell invitingly to Stephen Gauld but his header lacked any power and was saved easily. Right on time salt was rubbed into the wound as the Can-Cans went nap and it was, in a way, the worst of the goals conceded as Thistle were on the attack with a free-kick but lost possession allowing Forres to break and a couple of passes later Ross Archibald was free and he drilled his shot into the far corner of the net.

Full-time Forres Mechanics 5 Buckie Thistle 0

A day to forget and yet not as bad a performance as in some defeats in recent seasons and the sending off of Chris Hegarty was certainly a major factor. It hurt all the same but it is done and dusted and now it is important to try even harder in the next game. The Jags wont need any incentives to play well against Formartine United and know they will have to raise their game but they tend to do that against to teams and I am sure the Jags will give the Pitmedden side a hard match and Thistle can certainly win the game as they have enough quality in their ranks to do so.

Match Photo’s Courtesy of Allan Robertson

Forres Mechanics – Knight, Smith, Allan, S Fraser, G Fraser, Forbes, Moore, Duncan, L Fraser, Scott, McGovern

Buckie Thistle – Main, Hegarty, D Wood, Davidson, MacKinnon, MacRae, Copeland (S Wood), K Gauld, Kleczkowski (Baxter), Low (S Gauld) and Adams


Referee – M Kerrigan

Leave a Reply