Banffshire Advertiser Masthead

BUCKIE Thistle were no match for HFL leader Cove Rangers as the visitors cruised to their 16th consecutive league win at Victoria Park.

After a bright start Buckie were undone by two headed goals in the space of four minutes from Connor Scully and Blair Yule midway through the first half.

And when Iain MacRae diverted a Daniel Park shot beyond his own goalkeeper Greig Sim two minutes before the break, the game was all but over at the interval.

Cove started the second half on the front foot and Buckie struggled to get any foothold in the game.

Sim made two good saves to deny Daryl Nicol as the visitors stepped up a gear.

Nicol did add a classy fourth goal with 25 minutes remaining when he controlled a Watson pass and guided the ball beyond Sim.

A Kai Ross own goal made it five with 20 minutes to go when he tried to clear the ball but sliced it against his own post and over the line.

Stuart McKenzie comfortably saved an Andy Low free-kick as Cove comfortably saw out the game.

Buckie assistant manager Lewis MacKinnon said: “Cove are defensively stong and solid, have good central midfielders, wingers and two strikers. They are the best outfit I have seen in the Highland League this season.”

Keith had new boss Allan Hale in charge for the first time and they provided him with a 3-2 win over bottom of the table Rothes.

Kris Duncan put the Maroons ahead five minutes before half-time before David Lawrence hit back for the visitors on the hour. Mike Ewen made it 2-1 with 20 minutes remaining and Sam Ough made it 3-1 on 79 minutes, before Donald Horsburgh ensured a nervous end by grabbing a second goal for Rothes in the 90th minute.

Huntly slipped 3-0 down to visitors Turriff Utd after just 24 minutes, with goals from Andy MacAskill, Ally McKenzie and Artoms Kuznecovs, before goals from Murray McCulloch and David Booth either side of half-time provided hope of a fightback.

However, Turriff sealed the points late on through a second goal from MacAskill.

Deveronvale got a real boost with a 1-0 win at Fraserburgh, the winner coming 21 minutes from the end from teenager Nathan Ross.

In the other games, Formartine were 5-0 winners at Forres, Inverurie Locos and Nairn County finished 1-1, Strathspey Thistle beat Fort William 2-1, Brora Rangers beat Lossiemouth 2-0 and Wick were 2-1 winners at Clach.

Leave a Reply