Banffshire Advertiser Masthead

BUCKIE Thistle cruised into the second round of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

The winning margin could have been greater and Rothes keeper Matthew Mackie was the main reason the Jags did not hit double figures in the second half.

The game was virtually over as a contest inside the opening 14 minutes.

Chris Angus opened the floodgates in the 9th minute when he controlled Dennis Wyness’ ball into the box on his chest before volleying home.

A minute later and Angus doubled the lead when he ran on to a super James Fraser pass to slot the ball home.

Buckie went three up with a flowing move which saw the ball moved quickly from keeper Greig Sim to Kevin Fraser, Lewis MacKinnon and James Fraser, before Wyness swept the ball home from six yards.

Mackie produced two good saves to deny MacKinnon and Kevin Fraser.

Fraser then missed a sitter from point blank range when he headed over the bar. He should have had a penalty in the 32nd minute when he was upended by Gary Ewen but ref George Robertson waved away the vociferous Buckie claims.

The pressure was relentless and Wyness made it four after 39 minutes when he was set up by Kevin Fraser and kept calm to supply a cool finish close in.

Matty Bobrowski had missed a headed chance for Rothes early doors and he fired a harmless shot straight at Sim midway through the first half as the visitors struggled to make any impression.

Ex-Jags striker Craig Macmillan also saw a snap shot saved by Sim just before the break.

A minute before the interval MacKinnon blasted home number five after showing great determination to reach a loose ball at the back post.

Rothes showed a renewed spirt at the start of the second half and for 15 minutes applied some pressure.

Teenager Jack Lingard twisted his way into the box and saw his shot saved by Sim.

They managed to force a couple of corners and Donald Horsburgh headed just over the bar from one of them.

However, Buckie got a sixth goal on 62 minutes when a lovely run down the right by Angus saw him feed James Fraser and his perfect lay-off set up sub Robert Scott for a goal.

Buckie continued to press and Mackie impressed with a number of saves, notably denying Kevin Fraser on two occasions.

Sub Donnie Munro added a seventh goal with his first touch of the ball when he fired in a low drive from 25 yards.

Match Photo’s courtesy of Allan Robertson

Buckie: Sim, S Wood (Scott 46), MacRae, MacKinnon (Munro 79), Hegarty, Angus, J Fraser (Gauld 75), K Fraser, Wyness, Cheyne, Napier. Subs not used: Hodge, Taylor, D Wood, Strong.

Rothes: Mackie, Smith, Thomson (McPherson 71), Gallacher (Faren 54), Ewen, Brian, McIntosh, Horsburgh, Bobrowksi, Macmillan, Lingard. Not used: Ross, Corbett, Riddoch.

Leave a Reply