Young Jags Go Nap Again! By Easton Thain

The Jags Aberdeenshire League side made it three wins out of three to retain top spot and in doing so secured their second nap hand in succession as they overcame Aberdeen University at Victoria Park. Although not as fluid as in other games the Jags were still too strong for the Varsity students and Thistle played some excellent football at times and one of the goals was right out of the top drawer.

The Jags did have an early escape in the 3rd minute when Hamish Tubby got free at a corner but contrived to head over. Thistle responded in the 10th minute when a drive from Donnie Munro was blocked the half cleared, Drew Copeland raced in but shot wide. However, eight minutes later the jags went ahead with a stunning strike. Donnie Munro fed a brilliant pass through to Drew Copeland who cut inside and unleashed a thunderous drive right into the top corner of the net. 60 seconds on fine play between Mike Wood and Elliott McDonald set up Kyle Gauld but he curled his shot wide. Stephen Gauld then saw a shot go over and another blocked before Thistle doubled their lead in the 27th minute when Stephen Gauld delivered in a super corner and Drew Copeland headed home his second of the game. A flurry of action occurred 60 seconds on firstly when Matt Steer set up Mike Wood whose thumping drive was turned over by Ali Maclean. The corner led to another from which the ball found its way to Kyle Gauld, his shot was blocked and Donnie Munro’s follow-up was turned over by the keeper, from the corner Donnie Munro met the ball but headed over. Nine minutes before the break the points seemed safe when the ball was slid through to Stephen Gauld and he ran in before coolly netting. Kyle Gauld then curled an effort wide before, on half-time, a cross from Stephen Gauld was met by Elliott McDonald but his effort hit the bar.

Half-time Buckie Thistle 3 Aberdeen University 0

Just 60 seconds into the second half it all looked safe for Thistle as they went four up when Elliott McDonald found Mike Wood and he cracked a fine drive into the far corner of the net. However, with Lewis MacKinnon not appearing for the second half the home defence looked a bit more suspect and in the 56th minute a cross from Kyle Stuart found its way to Dean Fletcher and he knocked the ball past Jamie Fraser. The Jags responded with shots from Drew Copeland and Mike Wood but these were both held by Ali Maclean. In the 68th minute the students pulled another goal back when a free-kick in was palmed into his own net by Jamie Fraser. Thankfully the response was swift as three minutes later Thistle went nap albeit with some good fortune. A corner in was met by Mike Wood and the keeper went to clear only to punch the ball against Mike Wood’s back and it flew home. That broke Varsity and the final chances all fell to Thistle. Nicol Christie showed fine control in the 73rd minute but his final shot was held and soon after he shot another wide. Five minutes before the end Nicol set up Drew Copeland who cut inside and shot but Ali MacLean made a fine save.

Full-time Buckie Thistle 5 Aberdeen University 2

First team class showed in this game with Kyle Gauld, Drew Copeland and Donnie Munro standing out but others caught the eye as well. Ben Stewart had his best game so far, Mike Wood looked lively again up front and subs Liam Gordon and Nicol Christie look to be good prospects. The next game is away to Deveronvale on Oct 27.

Buckie Thistle – Fraser, Steer, L Cheyne, K Gauld, MacKinnon (Gordon), B Stewart, Copeland, Munro, S Gauld (Innes), M Wood and McDonald (Christie) Sub – Adams
Aberdeen University – MacLean, Tubby, Christmas, Diro, Reid (J Smith), Shafik, Stuart, Fletcher, Spence, MacDonald (Hardie) and McIvor (D Smith)

Leave a Reply