Second Half Power Play By Jags by Easton Thain

After opening their Aberdeenshire League campaign with an impressive 4-0 win at Banks O’ Dee the Jags U-20’s stormed to the top of the League after a stunning second half display against Turriff United which left the Haughs men gasping. The final score looked highly unlikely at half-time as, after an excellent start from Thistle, Turriff took control and come half-time the result was very much in the balance. Whatever Gary Hake said to the players at the break worked for they came out all guns blazing for the second half and United simply could not stop them. Bolstered by the experience of over-aged players Iain MacRae and Darren Wood in the centre of defence this enabled the Jags to eventually take control and with Drew Copeland, Kyle Gauld, Scott Adams and Shaun Carrol causing mayhem goals were due to come and in the end a nap hand was secured.

The Jags made a superb start by taking a sixth minute lead when Darren Wood challenged the keeper for a corner, the latter flapped at it and it dropped invitingly to Mike Wood who slammed it home. The rest of the half though saw Turriff dominate and in the 12th minute Nicky Wozniak got free at a corner and he sent in a header but it dipped over. However, the men from the Haughs levelled matters seven minutes on when Nicky Wozniak was given room to run and he cut across before smashing a drive into the far corner of the net. A minute on at the other end Scott Adams picked the ball up and cut across before sending in a drive which Kieran McCaffrey could only parry but Thistle committed a foul in the follow up. The Haughs men had the other chances of note and seven minutes before the break when a free-kick in found the unmarked Andy Paton but he headed wide. A minute before the break Jordan Clark got in and delivered a low drive but Jamie Fraser held this well.
Half-time Buckie Thistle 1 Turriff United 1

The Jags came flying out of the blocks in the second half and four minutes in fine play by Scott Adams set up Kyle Gauld but he drove his shot over. In the 52nd minute Mike Wood got ion but his shot was blocked as was the follow up from Scott Adams. 60 seconds after that Scott Adams whipped in a superb cross but Ryan Bruce just managed to clear the ball away. The pressure paid off just before the hour though when Jay Cheyne delivered a fine cross into the box and this was headed home well by Iain MacRae. In the 62nd minute Kyle Gauld played a superb ball through to Scott Adams who had a great chance but his shot was blocked behind. Turriff had a rare chance three minutes later from a corner which Jordan Clark swung in dangerously but Jamie Fraser tipped the ball over. In the 68th minute the game was effectively won when superb play led to Shaun Carrol sending a super pass to Scott Adams who raced in on goal before belting the ball into the corner of the net. Two minutes on United had another chance when Jamie Fraser made a poor punch when clearing and the ball fell to Jordan Clark but he shot over. Thistle though then took complete command and in the 73rd minute superb play by Drew Copeland saw him exchange passes with Shaun Carrol but he then drove over. Two minutes later Scott Adams set up Shaun Carrol who crashed in a stupendous drive only to see the ball crash off the bar. More goals had to come and with thirteen minutes left superb play by Liam Cheyne led to a cross which was only half cleared, the ball fell to Scott Adams who banged it home for his second of the game. Moments later Drew Copeland won the ball but then saw his shot deflected for a corner. With five minutes left brilliant play saw Shaun Carrol set up Drew Copeland who smashed in a glorious drive only to see Kieran McCaffrey brilliantly turn the ball behind. From the corner the ball found its way to Shaun Carrol but he shot over. In the 88th minute though the Jags went nap when a brilliant ball by Drew Copeland set Liam Cheyne free, he galloped down to the bye-line before cutting a low cross in, a defender missed the ball and it landed at the feet of Shaun Carrol who deftly switched it to his left foot before knocking it home. A grand display by the lads and once again all the signs for the future look promising. The next Aberdeenshire League game is on October 13th at home to Aberdeen University so I urge you to come along and see stars of the future.
Full-time Buckie Thistle 5 Turriff United 1

Buckie Thistle – Jamie Fraser, Ben Stewart (Jay Cheyne), Liam Cheyne, Kyle Gauld, Iain MacRae, Darren Wood, Drew Copeland, Shaun Carrol, Mike Wood (Mathew Steer), Scott Adams and Harry Noble (Liam Gordon)
Turriff United – McCaffrey, Bruce, Davidson, Chalmers (S Baxter), Paton, Kennedy, Mair, Brown, Clark, Allan (M Baxter) and Wozniak

Referee – P McIvinue

Leave a Reply